DIY Faux Leather T-shirt Applique
Insanely simple, this DIY faux leather tutorial from SeeKateSew is so easy and fun, we’ve got to warn you, it just might be addicting. Jessica uses a classic white and black striped tee and creates a playful textured look that’s totally cute and on-trend. For her supply list, she uses:
- 1 piece of faux leather measuring about 9 by 11 inches
- pair of scissors
- matte Mod Podge.
- As a makeshift workstation, you can use a piece of cardboard around 8.5 by 11 inches and a plastic bag. She even provides a simple arrow template so you can get a clean design for your tee.
- First step is to print out your template and cut out your shape from your faux leather fabric. Make sure your scissors are fairly new, as a sharp blade will help create a crisp, even line.
- Next, lay your tee shirt out and position the arrow shapes where you’d like to attach them. After they’re in place, slip the cardboard and plastic bag underneath the chest area of the shirt. This helps block any glue from leaking through and staining the back of the shirt. Afterwards, you’ll have to get your Mod Podge ready.
- Apply the Mod Podge to the back side of one arrow using your brush. Place the arrow onto the tee, and press down each edge multiple times. Make sure you apply even pressure all over the piece. If there is excess glue, wipe away with a rag right away before it hardens.
- Repeat this step with each arrow shape, and take your time to avoid any messy accidents. As you wait during the drying process, press your hand between the plastic bag and the shirt every fifteen minutes. You don’t want to accidentally glue the bag to the shirt, so check in periodically to make sure nothing extra is getting glued down.
In total, it should take about five to six hours to dry completely. After this time, you can remove the cardboard and the plastic bag from beneath the shirt.
Simple, fun and oh-so-easy, you might just want to start adding faux leather appliques to everything you own! Skip the lines at the fabric store and browse through a plethora of colorful faux leather options for sale here at MJtrends.
Written by Jade Nicolette