There no items in your cart.
Checkout
MJTRENDS

Sewing latex

Is it possible to sew latex sheeting? I have wanted to dabble with latex but I don't know much about it.

Response by: guest, June 1st 2004 11:20:37 pm

Most people glue latex sheeting, however it is possible to sew it. I have seen it in fashions by some commercial companies. My suggestion would be to use a heavy duty walking foot sewing machine, and a medium to heavy thickness latex.

You might want to look into some kind of silicone treatment for the thread as well since it can get hot and break as it moves through the rubber.

Response by: guest, June 1st 2004 11:23:37 pm

Sewing latex sheeting tends to make the seams of whatever you are making weaker because of the small holes left behind by the needle. You can always go back and glue a strip of latex on the backside of the seam and thereby try to stabalize it.

I recommend learning how to glue it as this is what most professionals do. The learning curve can be tough at first, but once you get the hand of gluing latex it's not hard.

Response by: guest, March 17th 2005 2:01:54 pm

yeah, don't sew latex, the hole will just keep enlarging and the material will rip. Most seams are glued together. Clean each seam allowance with a cleaning solvent and the apply the glue. overlapping the seams (rather than tucking them like a traditional seam). It might take a while for the adhesive to dry, so be patient. Most people also run a hard plastic or wooden roller over the seam to help it seal. If you want to put grommets or eyes in for lacing, or decorative stitches, first bond a piece of fabric tape (like a woven cotton ribbon) to the back side and then put in your grommets and so on. Putting another layer of latex on it might help, but the fabric backing is the way most garments are constructed. Hope that helps.

Response by: guest, June 27th 2005 4:59:18 pm

I was thrilled to find your discussion on latex sewing. Any idea what kind of adhesive or where it can be found? I make fetish clothing and I am just starting to get into latex. Your help would be very appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Response by: guest, May 27th 2008 1:25:32 pm

I am just starting to make fetish wear, dresses mostly, for my girlfriends and myself. I have been making costumes for years but I am unsure how to glue a garmet as opposed to sewing it. I assume I will overlap the seams instead of tucking two ends insude the garment and sewing it is this correct? Any suggestions or helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.

Response by: corwin, July 21st 2008 3:29:06 pm

i am familiar with how to put grommets on, but what kind?  Won\'t metal Grommets discolor the latex?  Are their plastic grommets?  Is it okay to use metal grommets?

Response by: latexgood, June 5th 2014 9:39:21 pm

I Wouldn't Sew Latex Sheeting As It Will Make For A Very Weak Seam.