There no items in your cart.
Checkout
MJTRENDS

Making corsets with PVC or Vinyl

Hello! I have a question about corset making in PVC or Vinyl. I have been reading here of the differences in PVC and Vinyl materials. I read someone's post about making a corset in patent vinyl because it does not stretch. Can you still make a corset out of PVC? The 2-way stretch that is sold her on MJ? I want that real shiny look that the PVC quality has but is it OK to make a corset out of a 2-way stretch material like PVC or does the material need to be NON stretch like patent vinyl? By the way, I was surfing the net and just happen to find this site and just wanted to say that all the information here on MJ about sewing PVC and Vinyl has been very useful to me. I have had the same issues with vinyl bunching up when I sew it and the suggestions I have found here have basically answered alot of questions I have about sewing sticky materials like vinyl. So thank you! Thank you, Annissë

Response by: guest, December 13th 2004 3:21:06 pm

I made a corset out the 2-way stretch pvc and it came out good. I wouldn't say it's as heavy duty as some of the real nice corsets that you can pay hundreds of dollars for, but it just depends on what you want.

I was making it for myself, so I loved it.

Response by: guest, December 18th 2005 5:29:23 pm

If you want to make a "proper" corset (boned and with the ability to reduce the waist 2 or more inches) the best way would be to construct the corset out of a stable fabric like cotton coutil and then cover the corset with the PVC which is then decorative rather than structural. If you're looking for more of a corselette (body conforming with little or no waist reduction) 2 way stretch vinyl would work well.

Response by: guest, February 25th 2006 5:55:00 pm

Hi, I was trying on ready-made PVC corsets like those by "Allure Leather" (cute designs on their website) in PES Studion (Las Vegas) with the intention of buying or making my own. Very few of those had any boning, but did shape the cleavage and bust area through restriction. However, all of the leather corsets had lightweight boning. The seams were sewn with 5/8 to 1" seam allowances and then the seam allowances were the basis for the boning channels. If you wanted to make boning channels in PVC, I would think it necessary to place the boning into the channel as you are top-stitching the seam. Good luck, Sherri.

Response by: guest, July 26th 2006 5:14:48 pm

I've made several corsets out of vinyl and PVC. I've always used a stronger material on the inside (satin, leather or cotton) for stability. This method seems to work fine for any material that stretches. I also want to say that it's important to always use steel boning (not plastic). As for sewing vinyl or PVC, I struggled with the bunching of the fabric for many years until I got a great tip from a good friend. Try using any type of lube (purchased at adult stores) or even KY. I would say, try placing the lube on a piece of scrap vinyl and sewing it first, until you get use to how it reacts. It's a bit weird at first. Normally I would pin the seam I want to sew, then rub the lube on top (facing the foot of you're sewing machine) covering about 6"s at a time. Sew then repeat. I've also found that it's better to use an oil biased lube over a water biased one, because it won't evaporate. Hope all this info helps, Great site mj. -Stretch

Response by: guest, May 11th 2007 5:53:11 am

Another method to try. When making corsets with 2-way stretch pvc use medium weight iron on fusible interfacing on the back side of the fabric. It adds so much strength and feels pretty close to patent vinyl when finished. The added interfacing also makes it much easer to sew over and doesn’t stick to the sewing foot or pucker at all!