There no items in your cart.
Checkout
MJTRENDS

master

Seam cleaner

hey ladies and gents, what is an alternative when cleaning seams as have just ran out of seam cleaner by MJtrends  and unsure exactly what the product is :) 

Would white spirits do the trick?

thankyou :) 

Response by: shinyskintight, August 20th 2014 11:55:43 am

I have used mineral spirits before but have recently switched to using Acetone. I prefer it over spirits. It works great for cleaning a seam before gluing and it evaporates quickly and leaves no residue. It's easy to get, as you can get find it at one of the "Big box" hardware stores in your area and it's relatively inexpensive for how much you get. Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Shiny

Response by: missefashion, August 20th 2014 3:37:11 pm

thankyou so much for your response :) I ran down and purchased white spirits for now but yes will definitly give acetone a go next time, thankyou :) 

Response by: antrices, September 6th 2014 4:10:50 pm

Thank you, big help!

Response by: latexgood, October 16th 2014 5:37:20 pm

Hm I've Never Used Any, I'll Have To Look Into it.

Response by: Andre , November 1st 2014 7:08:41 am

On my last project I used Benzyne think you spell it Benzene in the US to clean the glue from the seams. It works really well. It also let the latex curl up like the cleaner sold by MJ. I bought it from a hardware store in RSA for about $3.50 for 750ml.

You can give it a try if you can find it. Cheap and easy.

Response by: JP, November 25th 2014 11:02:34 am

I use "Bestine" rubber cement solvent & thinner, from the folks who make "Best-Test" white rubber cement.  MSDS says it's 100% heptane, same as Primus stove fuel if you happen to have a Primus camping stove.

Response by: shinyskintight, December 12th 2014 10:09:38 pm

From reading the responses on this thread I do believe there might be a little confusion as to what cleaner Missefashion is asking for. I thought I should point out the differences in the two cleaners referenced in this thread. 

Mineral spirits and/or Acetone serve as a cleaner to use for surface prep BEFORE gluing a seam. It is good to have a clean surface prior to gluing to ensure they will stick together correctly.

The brand Bestine solvent/ thinner (they also makes a rubber cement) or a heptane solution is a cleaner to use AFTER gluing a seam. This is used to remove the unwanted excess glue off of the seam. This gives the seam a neater look if too much glue is used upon application. Acetone and/or mineral spirits will not work for removing glue afterward. 

Just wanted to put that out there. Hope it helps everyone :)

Cheers,

Shiny