There no items in your cart.
Checkout
MJTRENDS

icon

How would you make a two-colored cape?

I've previously made a cape for a red-and-black Robin using MJ Trends' two-color latex.

But now I'm working on a different Robin, from "Batman Forever", and need to make a cape that's yellow inside, black outside.  Curious what other people would do for this -- two layers? Paint one face?  (Custom sheet is out of my budget for this cosplay....)

End goal is something like this:

Response by: Chloe, July 17th 2017 3:00:53 pm

You could try using spray plasti-dip in yellow and coating one side of a .50mm or thicker black latex sheeting:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Classic-Muscle-Car-Daytona-Yellow-11305-6/46089065

Response by: Majinko, July 17th 2017 5:10:39 pm

Chloe has a great suggestion but I would recommend a few tweaks. I would not use Plastidip as in my experience, that does not bond very well to smooth surfaces.

I would suggest:

Make the cape in yellow and then coat one side in black. It's easier to make one side black with less latex applications.  To do this, use liquid latex, which is available in bulk on Amazon for about $7 for 16 ounces (which will be more than enough), and mix in black acrylic paint. The liquid latex will dry darker than the mixture's color so try a test patch to perfection your ratio. 

Be sure to thoroughly clean and dry the side you intend to paint black so the liquid latex adheres to it. If you find it is not sticking to your liking after your first few applications, light sand the latex and try again. You can also use a solvent to loosen up the pores on the latex but that will make creating a smooth finish slightly more laborious. 

When applying the latex paint mixture, use a bristle brush and do thin coats in one direction. Before the coat completely dries, apply another layer in a perpendicular direction to create an even finish. Continue building light coats until you can no longer see the yellow. Then apply a few more to make it final. Once dry, the black latex will have bonded to the sheet of yellow latex and should last indefinitely. You can perform touch ups to the finish as necessary. It'll be far easier to match your black paint than it will the yellow, which is why I suggest painting a yellow side black. If you start with black and paint it yellow, it will take more applications, more paint, and will be harder to match. 

I hope this helps, keep us posted!

Response by: Majinko, July 17th 2017 5:19:32 pm

I forgot to mention why using a bristle brush is important. It allows for better control and does not add air bubbles to the application. Do not use a sponge brush, they are harder to clean, will introduce air bubbles, and ruin the smoothness of the coat if you are inexperienced with using them. It's important to use thin coats so you don't get air in it and it dries evenly and smoothly. The first few coats will yield a transparent, unsmooth (and spotty if done unevenly) coat. This is normal, to be expected, and remedied with more applications. 

As an added bonus, you can use patterned, thin mesh fabric cut slightly smaller than the latex to add rigidity to the cape and give it a nice look. This works well if you end up getting a piece of latex and decide it's too thin for your taste. For my masks, I cut pieces laundry bags that are available at Walmart. Just be sure to a) use the right color, or b) evenly apply the coat and make sure it gets in to the fibers of the fabric. 

Response by: JP, July 17th 2017 9:00:52 pm

Hello, all.  Got notified of additional traffic and realized I'd never updated with my finished results.

I made the cape in yellow sheet, 0.4mm, then coated with black liquid latex. It took more than a quart to properly coat the cape -- remember that a proper bat cape is about five feet tall and about 2/3 of a full circle.

While the outer surface should be glossy, it's also supposed to have a faux leather grain, which I made with a short-nap paint roller with texture lines cut into it.

When I had the black finished, I wasn't satisfied with the yellow, it was a bit too lemony, should be a bit darker, so I mixed up a pint of gold pearlescent liquid latex to coat the inside face.

All in all, quite satisfied with the results.

Response by: JP, July 17th 2017 9:05:05 pm

To give a better feel for the size of the cape...

Response by: Majinko, July 18th 2017 1:40:06 am

This is amazing!

I realized the date on the post after I replied but it still is helpful to those who might be seeking the answer to the same question you asked. 

Response by: JP, July 18th 2017 2:37:45 am

Thanks!

Lots of threads on here are still useful after a long dormancy, nothing wrong with providing more information for future reference!