There no items in your cart.
Checkout
MJTRENDS

Painting latex

I'm curious, would acrylic fabric paint be suitable for use on latex?  Would / could it be permanent?  Thanks!

Response by: karine, March 27th 2010 11:25:47 am

Hey there!

I've tried it, and it does not stay on. It will peel off

Response by: Shona, July 29th 2010 7:32:53 pm

Thank you.  Do you have any ideas?

Response by: Chloe, October 6th 2013 12:18:19 pm

I've used a couple different methods to stencil or paint onto latex sheeting.

1. Permanent marker: This is super quick and easy.  I used the thickest Sharpie brand marker I could find and wrote Chinese characters across the front of a shirt.  It took longer than expected for the ink to completely dry.  Probably a couple days.

It's been 3 years and the lettering still looks like the day I made it.  It looks great from 10-15 feet away, but up close you can see the marker streaks - just like you would expect to see on paper.  

2. Spray liquid latex: This is the more professional way to go if you want a perfectly smooth design - however this is much more costly and time consuming.

You'll need to purchase moulding latex with no pigment or thickener added.  Next use water based tinter or acrylic paint to achieve the desire color.  Note, I usually go a little bit darker than what you actually want.

Get a spray gun with 1.5 to 1.8mm nozzle.  Anything smaller and the nozzle will clog.  

You can use self adhesive paper for your stencils.  I bought self-adhesive photo paper so that I could print out my designs on my printer and then cut them out. 

Here are some of the various effects you can achieve with this method:

Response by: latexgood, October 17th 2014 2:05:52 pm

This Is cool I'll definitely Have To Try This!