There no items in your cart.
Checkout
MJTRENDS

apprentice

The "Best" Best-Test??

I am totally new to creating with latex sheeting but I have years of sewing and costuming experience. I have not come across this issue in my own research and I wondered if some of you might be able to help me out.  I had been scouring my local area for Best-Test rubber cement and located a local art supply shop that said they carried it.  They set it aside for me and I did a quick run on my lunch break to pick it up.  I was at the mercy of the time clock and the local bus schedule so when I got back to my office I saw that it was "One Coat" Rubber Cement and not simply Rubber Cement.  Will that make a difference?  Is this stuff still usable or do I need to only use the Rubber Cement?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Response by: JP, March 28th 2015 10:14:02 am

I believe the "one coat" wording appears only on their repositionable glue, not the permanent stuff.

The best Best-Test is their Paper Cement, in the red cans.  If you can't find it locally, Amazon has a decent price. 

Response by: Jzaayer, March 30th 2015 9:21:20 am

Thanks for the assistance.  The same art supply shop has the paper rubber cement so I think I can just switch it out.  I am so excited to start experimenting with this stuff!

Response by: shinyskintight, April 5th 2015 11:23:23 pm

Hello Jzaayer!

Great to hear you're making your way into the amazing world of latex creation! I too have more sewing experience (PVC & Patent Vinyl) and I must say making latex garments is a bit different than sewing. Sounds like you're aware of that already but believe me your prior skills, and tools, will be very useful while transitioning into latex creation :) 

One tip I would like to share with you...when you get the rubber cement you are looking for make sure to get some of the same brand, Bestine (Best-Test), solvent & thinner. It's useful to thin down the glue, just a little bit, as it will make for a smoother application on the latex and I feel creates a better hold as well.

Happy creating and I wish you all the best on your upcoming projects :)

Cheers,

Shiny

Response by: Jzaayer, April 6th 2015 8:44:23 am

Thanks for the encouragement.  I was sure to buy some Bestine at the same shop while I was there.  I've been doing lots of research online until I gather all my tools and clear space in my workroom.  It is a slightly different way of thinking and I'm already planning ahead on some of my existing patterns to account for the change in seam allowances and stretch.  I am excited because I see so many possibilities design-wise that just would not be feasible using traditional fabric sewing techniques.   

Response by: Andre , August 7th 2015 9:03:21 am

I don't know the brand of glue that you are referring to as we do not get it in SA. I would suggest that you practice gluing a seem with the glue you have and let it dry for a day and then stretch it and see how it holds up. You don't want your garment to fall apart on you while wearing it. I use the solvent based glue sold at MJ for everything latex even installing zips. Never had a failure. Enjoy your new adventure and post some pics when you're done.